A component that supports a building’s non-variable forces and weights (dead loads) and variable forces and weights (live loads).
structural component (Wikipedia)
Structural elements are used in structural analysis to split a complex structure into simple elements. Within a structure, an element cannot be broken down (decomposed) into parts of different kinds (e.g., beam or column).
Structural elements can be linear, surfaces or volumes.
- Rod - axial loads
- Beam - axial and bending loads
- Struts or Compression members- compressive loads
- Ties, Tie rods, eyebars, guy-wires, suspension cables, or wire ropes - tension loads
- membrane - in-plane loads only
- shell - in plane and bending moments
- shear panel - shear loads only
- Axial, shear and bending loads for all three dimensions